Saturday 1 February 2014

Review 13: Disco Pigs

Being an avid Cillian Murphy fan, I happened upon Disco Pigs whilst scrolling through his IMDb profile. I read the vague description: 'A twisted rite of passage.' Naturally, I was interested, and placed it on my Watchlist. There it stayed for I don't know how many months, until I finally decided to watch it today. And oh my. This film is disastrous, insane and pure pure brilliance. 

The codependent relationship shared between 'Pig' (Murphy) and 'Runt' (Elaine Cassidy) creates this mind-blowing psychological trap for which neither can escape. The director's interpretation of the play is truly magnificent. The mirrored movements allow the actors to act as one, and to make it ever easier for the audience to recognise when the relationship inevitably crumbles apart. You get to see real relationship problems and how a pair so attached deals with it. And let me tell you, not well at all. This film allows you to think about people, allows you to be so unsure of your own opinion that you end up just giving up and staying by Pig's side no matter what he did. It emotionally confuses you, and I for one was in tears by the end of it. The brilliance of the writing cannot go unpraised, as the use of two protagonists makes this film even better. We get to see both sides of the relationship from the good to the bad and just plain psycho. If this situation were to happen in real life, they'd be called 'weird' or 'attention seekers'. Yet the brilliance of this film is that you see it how the characters do. They cannot possibly be apart, yet there is a time when one realises they have to be. The truly detrimental effects of this make this film unexpected. Amazing. Cassidy and Murphy do the roles justice, portraying the characters in complex and memorable ways. Murphy's monologue about his desires for Runt is one to look out for, as I'm sure it would transfix anyone watching.

Directed by Kristin Sheridan, this Irish play serves as something so emotional that it deserves to be performed worldwide. This has the ability to touch the hearts of many, yet also hit the public with a sense of reality. Not all relationships are fairy-tale, movie romances. I gave this film an 8/10 on IMDb and I recommend it to anyone who likes dark, psychological films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment