Saturday 6 April 2013

Review 6: Vertigo

As promised, here is my review of Alfred Hitchcock's 'Vertigo'.

Going into this film I have to say, I expected a lot more of a horror type atmosphere, but it was generally a lot more laid back than I thought (after the initial death at the start, of course). At the beginning, I found the character of Scottie (James Stewart), to be not very likeable. It may be because of his piercing blue eyes, which made him seem quite cold, but in the end actually contributed quite well to his character. I connected to him more as I went through the film because I was able to learn about him and his life.

I really liked the character of Madeleine, because Kim Novak played her extremely well. I'm quite surprised I've never heard of her, because she's so beautiful and actually quite talented. I connected with her character immediately, and she manages to balance her normal self and her 'hypnotised' side really well together, pulling off a very convincing performance. She is the character that stands out the most and I'm definitely considering watching some of her other films.

I have to say, I wasn't completely satisfied with this film, as some parts just didn't make sense to me. The character of Midge didn't seem to have any purpose whatsoever, and I didn't really understand their relationship. He's not dating her, but he has a key to her house? Despite this, I did enjoy the use of the settings, as they were really emphasised in the plot as having some significance, and they worked well with the story.

I particularly enjoyed the storyline because it was quite individual, like nowadays everything seems to be quite similar unless it's a thriller or indie film. If you enjoy an enticing story with twists everywhere, this is definitely for you. I gave it 6 stars out of 10 on iMDB because although it was good, it wasn't anything particularly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment